This is my first time participating in the virtual vegan potluck. I am so excited! I hope you have enjoyed the recipes so far. I have decided to share my go-to potluck recipe with you. It quick, easy and can be modified to fit almost any diet. This dish is vegan and naturally gluten free. You can try using other vegetables instead of potatoes or experiment with your favorite peas.
Coincidentally, there is a potluck at my church today. Normally, I would not participate because my people tend to get offended when you say things like “Are you sure there’s no butter in there?” and “Did you add flour?” My mom likes to volunteer my cooking for such events. She requested curried chickpeas with carrots. You can see the yummy result on the right.
The recipe below is my favorite and a crowd pleaser. Sometimes I play with the spices and add vegetables like carrots and broccoli. I always end up with somethings that smells good and its super delicious. No more mashed potatoes for me; not when I can have this super yummy, protein packed easy to make alternative. I hope you enjoy.
(Serves 4 to 6) Ingredients: 4 large potatoes (peeled and cubed)
2 cups cooked chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp curry powder
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp thyme
2 tbsp parsley plus 1/2 tsp for garnish
1 tsp salt
- Heat oil in a large saucepan with crushed garlic, curry powder, coriander and half of the cayenne pepper until oil bubbles.
- Add potatoes and stir.
- Add 1/4 cup water and simmer on low heat stirring occasionally and adding water as needed.
- When the potatoes are almost cooked add beans and remaining spices except pepper (save some parsley for the garnish).
- Add salt to taste and more cayenne pepper if you like it really spicy.
- Remove from heat, garnish with freshly chopped parsley.
Here it is my first dish for virtual vegan potluck! Feel free to ask any questions that you may have. Hope you enjoy the upcoming soups and the rest of the potluck! You can start at the beginning with appetizers here.