I cut all my hair off two years ago (Dec 19th 2011). It’s something I wanted to do since 2006. I wanted to go back to my natural hair. I only had a relaxer in college because I did not have time to comb my natural hair while in college.
Since then my hair has grown by leaps and bounds. People often ask what products I use and I often answer nothing. Well that’s not really true. Here’s what I use:
- nizoral shampoo (for eczema)
- Dove soap
- Avalon Organics lavender nourishing conditioner
- Prescription eczema creams for the scalp
- Diquez nursery petroleum jelly
I also include the supplements that I take for my endometriosis and my multivitamin in this list. I tell persons that eating a healthy diet full of many different colors of vegetables is really the best thing you can do for your hair. The internet is full of hair styling tips and articles. Find what works for your hair type and stick to it.
My hair care routine:
- If I’m washing my hair often (more than once a week) I only use conditioner otherwise I follow this routine.
- Put Nizoral shampoo in scalp and conditioner in hair.
- Wait 10 mins. (good time to shave legs)
- Add conditioner.
- Comb out tangles.
- Rinse while combing out. Do not rinse out all the conditioner or add more conditioner at the end.
- Towel dry.
- Add eczema creams to scalp.
- Add a small amount of petroleum jelly to hair and style.
Which brings me to the product review.
I don’t remember how I came to buy this conditioner. I think I was trying to buy peppermint body wash online and I bought lavender shampoo and conditioner instead. Then I ran out of shampoo and started using dove soap to wash my hair. For some reason it stopped the crazy itching I had going on. Eventually I went to the dermatologist and got diagnosed with Seb. eczema. My dermatologist approved the dove soap and cautioned that the nizoral would really dry out my hair so I would need a really good conditioner.
My lavender conditioner has never let me down. My hair is always soft and manageable. I always make sure that I use lots of conditioner and leave it in at least 5 minutes before combing it through and rinsing it out. The scent is very mild and pleasant. I also use it as a leave in conditioner and it works wonderfully. I add a small amount to wet hair and it makes styling so much easier. It is especially great after sleeping on my unruly afro. I also mix it with water and add to dry hair. Thank you Avalon Organics. Please don’t change the formula this one is perfect for my hair.
Some more hair care tips:
- Use a sturdy comb: if your hair is thick a soft comb will only bend and pull you hair.
- Style your hair while wet: while the conditioner is still wet in your hair it is much easier to style.
What hair care products do you use? What are your hair care tips?
I forgot to include the picture that inspired the post. Here are the shots from my two year anniversary.