Recently I shared a short meditation focusing on self forgiveness on my YouTube Channel. Sometimes we can be so hard on ourselves. When we make mistakes we can engage in negative self talk and even be plain awful to ourselves. We judge ourselves for what we did when we did not know better or when we were not strong enough to resist temptation. We even go as far as to punish ourselves and hold ourselves back from success because we do not feel we deserve it. This short meditation helps us let go and forgive ourselves.
- This meditation can be done following a few simple steps. While doing this meditation, if any overwhelming emotions come up try to focus on your breath and find calm within your breath.
- Find a comfortable seat. Press your hips into the chair or mat, lift your heart towards the sky. Relax your shoulders and drop your chin towards your chest so that your neck can relax.
- Take a few deep breaths.
- Ball up your hands into fists. Now open them and let them relax. Do this a few more times.
- Bring your awareness to the breath. Follow the breath from the nostrils into the lungs and back out again. Let the breath be slow, smooth and soft.
- As you continue to breathe slow smooth breaths cast your memory to something you need to forgive yourself for?
- Who was there?
- What happened?
- How did you feel while it was happening?
- How did you feel after it happened?
- How do you feel now?
- Now I want you to imagine placing this whole incident into your hand and closing your hands tight. Pray to God asking for forgiveness and guidance to make amends if needed. Say exactly what it is you did and why you need forgiveness.
- Now pause. Be aware of your breath. Find the slow smooth breath. Picture the forgiveness of God coming to you in the form of a blinding white light. Picture it washing over you completely.
- Take a moment to thank God for forgiveness and anything else you feel moved to be thankful for.
- Now open your eyes. Stretch if you need to. You can write in your journal or continue about your day.
I hope you find this meditation helpful. Let me know if you do.
What are you forgiving yourself for?