I love soup. When I discovered cream of broccoli soup I was in love. Recently I’ve been on a quest to find the perfect dairy free replacement. I found this recipe at Whole life Nutrition. I used almonds instead of the almond flour. It was perfect at the time because I was doing the elimination diet and wanted to see how I reacted to almonds. My stomach was not happy. Since then I consume almonds in moderation. I made this recipe my own by using raw cashews as my dairy substitute. Also I don’t use onions. A dash of cayenne pepper gives this soup a little kick that I quite enjoy. Feel free to make this your own by adding your favorite spices, using stock instead of water and adding greens. I hope you enjoy this soup as much as I do.
4 cups chopped broccoli
2 cups raw cashew
1 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp rosemary
2 tsp parsley
3 cloves garlic
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
1. Place everything in a large pot with about 10 cups of water.
2. Bring to a boil.
3. Lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes
4. Remove from heat.
5. Place in a high powered blender.
6. Blend for 3-5 minutes until the desired consistency is reached.
7. Serve and enjoy.
I love to make this in huge batches and freeze it so that I have an easy meal ready to heat up. My brother has been finding very creative ways to use this soup. So far he has poured it over pasta and vegetables, used it as a salad dressing and as a dip for bread.
- If the soup is too thick you can add more water or stock. You can also use less cashews.
- If you’re clumsy or don’t like pouring hot liquids into a blender you can use a coffee mug to scoop it out. You can also use an immersion blender.
- Hot liquids can sometimes cause blenders to “explode”: the lid flies off. to avoid this leave the center cap off and place a towel over the lid.
- If you like your soup more chunky, set of of the broccoli aside and add it to the soup after blending.
What is your favorite soup?
This post is shared at Healthy, Happy, Green & Natural Party Hop
What an absolutely dreamy, creamy soup recipe. I love using cashews as a creamy base for vegan soups. And I love all of the ways you and your brother have found to use this soup. I can’t wait to try your recipe. I am so delighted that you shared this healthy and delicious recipe for with us at the Healthy, Happy, Green and Natural Party Blog Hop! We appreciate it!
You are most welcomed. Please let me know how it turns out when you try it. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
What a delicious sounding soup – I have broccoli and cashews so I’m definitely trying this one. My favourite soup can be found on the same link as this (Elaine at Foodbod’s glorious soup post) it’s a gorgeous lentil soup! Thanks for sharing! 🙂
You are most welcomed. I will head over and check it out.